Blog Archive

Review: Peony in Love by Lisa See

Peony in LovePeony in Love by Lisa See
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this novel. Well written, this poignant account of love and longing is actually a story within a story. Peony is a young girl who is betrothed to a man she has never met when she meets and falls in love with the boy next door. Cloistered within the walls of her father's home and constrained by the values of her society she sees no way out of her situation and becomes consumed by an epic love poem. When she literally dies of heartache the plot takes a fascinating turn into supernatural realms.

Fast paced and multi-dimensional this book left me feeling more emotions than I could keep track of. I recommend it as a good love story, a good ghost story, and a fascinating insight into the history of Chinese society and women.

See my entire bookshelf on Goodreads.com

0 comments: